I’m again away from my ‘base’ in a short trip back to my hometown. This means that it’s difficult to post a new DIY project. There are too little time, space and materials in order to create something new here. So, I made a kind of a digital DIY.
For the first time, I’ve tried to change completely my classic Blogger template and upload a new blogger template in its place. I’ve already done it in my Tumblr and WordPress blogs, but it’s a brand new field for my Blogger “home”.
My short weekend adventure had started with me experimenting with new blogger templates two hours before leaving home for our trip! It’s true that when a new idea is stuck in my head, nothing and none could prevent me to do it even in the last minutes! Of course, this created some troubles. My blog had many errors during the weekend because it was impossible to do everything perfectly in so little time. After spending three days in changing and customizing templates between other activities, these are some useful tips I would prefer to have known them from the beginning.
1 • Save your old template and content.
This is the first golden rule.
- Login to your Blogger.com account.
- Go to Template page of your blog.
- Click the Backup/Restore Button
- Click the DOWNLOAD FULL TEMPLATE button on the new dialogue window that appears
- Save this template in a folder.
2 • Decide what style you want for your blog.
- Browse different sites that offer templates and check out different examples.
- You may find the perfect template with your first search.
- If you don’t, try a respectful number of templates before choosing.
3 • Choose your criteria.
- Do you want a right, a left, or two sidebars?
- One or two columns?
- An SEO friendly template or ads customized, or both things?
- Make a list of the things you want your new template to have.
- Try first the live tester view before you download the new template. Many things are not obvious from a frozen page. See how the pages look like when you browse them and pay attention to small details.
When you define your criteria, you will eliminate your choices to what you really want.
4 • Upload your new template.
These steps are usually the same on every site, but you should check out the tutorial on the specific site.
- Download the blogger template you want from the site
- The file is usually.ZIP
- Go to the folder you saved the ZIP file and right click on it.
- Choose ‘Extract‘ to extract that zip file and locate a.XML file in it.
- To upload this XML file to your Blogger account.
- Go to ‘Template’ page of your blog again
- Click the ‘Backup/Restore’ Button again
- Click ‘Choose File’ button in that same page.
- Find the folder you extract the ZIP file of your new template and open it
- Choose the .XML file
- Click the UPLOAD button to upload your new template.
5 • Rearrange your widgets.
- The Widgets of your old blog template are still available
- You may need to drag and drop your widget in the proper location
- Go to the Layout page and rearrange your widgets.